Exodus Travels' New Short Film Celebrates 'World Elephant Day'

Exodus Travels has launched a new documentary, entitled Living in the Land of the Tuskers, ahead of World Elephant Day on 12AUG. Filmed and directed by Exodus’ Olly Pemberton, the short film showcases the work being done together with Kenyan conservation experts Tsavo Trust and the Tofauti Foundation to support the continued roll-out of its Free to Roam elephant conservation project that was launched last year in Kenya’s Tsavo West National Park.

The project, which is funded through The Exodus Travels Foundation, aims to allow elephants and other wildlife to thrive by empowering Tsavo communities to give 90 per cent of land back to nature, while increasing food security for the Kamungi Conservancy by delivering permaculture training for locals who own the remaining 10 per cent. This buffer zone aims to help form a "peaceful co-existence between local wildlife and members of the surrounding community."

Through this project, the Tsavo Trust and the Tofauti Foundation encourage the WeKamba communities to engage in the conservation of elephants and other wildlife, and the improved farming is intended to generate economic opportunities so the local families can become self-sufficient through sustainable means.

Kyalo Ndeto, a farm owner who lives close to the park, is one of the project participants and is interviewed in the documentary. He describes how he used to hate wildlife, especially elephants, as they would eat all his crops, and he couldn’t envision any benefits resulting from wildlife or their conservation. Through this project however, he is now able to harvest "100 per cent" of what he plants and his attitude towards wildlife has shifted: “There are more benefits that could be realized from co-existing harmoniously with wildlife,” says Ndeto.

Patricia Sims, founder of World Elephant Day said: “The Exodus Travels ‘Free to Roam Project’ in Tsavo beautifully demonstrates that positive results are possible when travel companies, conservation organizations, and local communities work together to achieve a peaceful and sustainable co-existence between elephants, wildlife and people, where everyone wins.”

“Living in the Land of the Tuskers is a thoughtful and moving short film about the Exodus Travels ‘Free to Roam Project’ that portrays the unique landscape and iconic wildlife of Tsavo and illustrates how the threats of human-elephant conflict can be successfully mitigated when conservationists and rural communities come together for the mutual benefit of people and elephants,” Sims continued.

For more information, visit Exodus Travels' web site.

You may also like
Canadian Visits to Florida Jump: Latest Figures Just Shy of Pre-Pandemic Levels
VISIT FLORIDA execs revealed for the first time to media, Including Open Jaw's Jim Byers at this year’s Florida Huddle in ...
Dream Hotel Hollywood
Hyatt Completes Acquisition of Dream Hotel Group
Dream Hotels will join as a brand within Hyatt’s Boundless Collection, expanding its footprint in destinations like Nashville, Hollywood, Las Vegas, ...
Europe Travel Map
Air Canada Vacations Introduces a New Agent Toolkit for Europe Plus Agent Contest
ACV's new Travel Agent Toolkit for Europe launch includes a contest until 30APR for agents to win trips to Europe. Consumers ...
Kensington Tours Launches Private Villa Portfolio
'Beyond Villas by Kensington Tours' reflects "increased demand for private luxury accommodations combined with the interest in highly curated personalized experiences,” ...
Cirque du Soleil Celebrates its 30th Anniversary Performing in Las Vegas
Cirque du Soleil's very first production in Las Vegas, Mystère at Treasure Island Hotel & Casino, commemorates its 30th anniversary this ...

Leave a Reply