Star Alliance, a global consortium consisting of 26 airlines including Air Canada, Lufthansa, United Airlines, and more - celebrated its 25th anniversary on 14MAY as the first and largest airline alliance.
Founded in 1997 by Air Canada, United Airlines, Scandinavian Airlines, Thai Airways International, and Lufthansa, Star Alliance today is "a conglomerate of 26 airlines that banded together to offer flights that mutually benefit them in sales and marketing, particularly via an expansive route network and passenger service," including high-value offering codeshare flights.
Star Alliance announced a new tagline: “Together. Better. Connected.” for its quarter-century celebrations as it says it continues to focus on customer experience, loyalty, and technology.
“We reflect on the successes of Star Alliance in uniting the leading global airlines, with an eye firmly focused on a future where the customer continues to be at the heart of our work and our global network,” said Jeffrey Goh, CEO of Star Alliance.
“I am very excited for the innovations led by Star Alliance and our members carriers as we aim to be the most digitally advanced airline alliance offering seamless travel experiences with a unique loyalty proposition. This year, we look forward to further developments in seamless connectivity — such as new digital and mobile innovations — and exciting industry-first offers that loyal customers of our member carriers will welcome,” Goh added.
In conjunction with the anniversary milestone, Star Alliance and its member carriers say they will release exciting campaigns and customer innovations under the new brand tagline.
“We have defined the way the Earth connects for years, and now more than ever, is the time to enable technology to provide seamless journeys and delight the loyal customers of our member carriers,” Goh said. “I am happy that 'Together. Better. Connected.' — our new tagline — reflects that earnestly and is also future-facing. It will motivate us to do better.”
Future offerings and further announcements include:
- To introduce a new partnership model intended cements network leadership
- To be announced, a co-branded credit card in a regional market intended to offer loyalty customers of member airlines the opportunity to earn miles and points with spends
- Jointly adopted a sustainability statement with member carriers to commit to the industry goal of net-zero carbon emissions and consequent joint efforts on decarbonisation
- Star Alliance Biometrics, launched in 2020, is now available across four major airports - FRA, MUC, VIE – with HAM added in APR 2022
- Expansion of the Digital Connection Service to augment the Star Alliance Connection Centres to aid connecting passengers at major airports and the airlines serving them. This service is currently available at LHR and will expand to a key European hub "soon."
- Progressive ability to reserve seats and track baggage location on codeshare flights and multi-carrier journeys through the digital channels of member carriers
- New Star Alliance lounge in Los Angeles and other premium lounges in Amsterdam, Rome, Rio de Janeiro, Buenos Aires, and Paris, with new options for paid access being progressively rolled out.
- Collection and online redemption of points and miles for award flights and upgrades across the twenty-six member carriers
For more information on Star Alliance, visit its web site.