Local media in the Bahamas have reported that pathology and toxicology tests have revealed the cause of death of three American guests staying in adjacent villas at Sandals Emerald Bay earlier this month.
The Nassau Guardian says soon-to-be-released coroner’s reports show the three died of carbon monoxide poisoning. One additional guest, the partner of one of the deceased, also fell ill but is recovering.
The article includes the statement by Bahamian Minister of Health Dr. Michael Darville that public health officials have concluded the deaths were isolated incidents.
Nonetheless, Sandals Resorts International quickly issued statements to the media and on its social media accounts, declaring it was taking preventive action.
"We remain devastated by the unimaginable event that occurred at Sandals Emerald Bay Resort earlier this month that resulted in the loss of three lives, including two members of our beloved travel advisor community, and the recovery of a fourth guest. We wish to once again extend our deepest sympathies and our heartfelt condolences to the Phillips and Chiarella families.
"Despite initial speculation, Bahamian authorities have concluded the cause was an isolated incident in one standalone structure that housed two individual guest rooms and was in no way linked to the resort’s air conditioning system, food and beverage service, landscaping services or foul play.
"Ensuring the safety and wellbeing of our guests and team members is and will always be paramount. It is for this reason that we have taken additional measures such as engaging environmental safety experts for a comprehensive review of all systems across the resort.
In addition, CO detectors have now been placed in all guest rooms at Sandals Emerald Bay and although not mandated in any Caribbean destination where we operate, detectors will be installed in all guest rooms throughout the portfolio.
"Our entire team is keeping the families in our thoughts and prayers during this difficult time."