Reporting from Cancun, Open Jaw took part in programming and activities held at the Dreams Vista Cancun yesterday where executives from AMR Collection, Apple Leisure Group and Hyatt Hotels Corporation took the stage to reflect on the last 20 years, the new Hyatt partnership and vision for the future.
According to Erica Doyne, Senior VP of Marketing & Communications, the multi-brand resort group has tripled in size in the last decade alone. AMR Collection currently has 102 resorts, six brands, is in 10 countries and forecasts an increase to 155 resorts by 2026. Areas of expansion focused on Europe and Secrets, Dreams, Zoetry and Alua brands.
Mark Hoplamazian, Hyatt Hotels Corporation President & CEO, is hoping to grow the brand partnership into more than 155 resorts worldwide and sees the brand breaking into the Middle Eastern and Asian markets, where Hyatt already has a solid presence.
Reflecting on the last 19 months of the pandemic, ALG’s President & CEO Alejandro Reynal, emphasized how much travel agents play a role in the sustainability of the product, brands and the destinations they offer. Agents had to face another level of complexity that they never could have imagined. Navigating an onslaught of cancelations, and refunds, plus understanding ever changing rules and regulations set forth by governments and world health leaders has been a minefield.
The overarching message of support conveyed by Reynal was summed up with three pillars:
1- We Care: A focus on the health and wellbeing of their staff at all levels, keeping them engaged and energized. As resorts began to open up again, the safety of their guests and ground staff was also a top priority.
2- We Work Together: Described the dialogue ALG and AMR had with partners, airlines and local governments as they prepared to open destinations. Partnering with airlines to bring passengers back to destinations, and working with local governments to insure protocols and measures were in place to
3- We Do It With Passion: “During the downtimes of the pandemic, it was difficult, but passion is what carried us through,” said Reynal. The focus on strategy, hotel openings, and recovering business is what led ALG to be the first in the market to offer free antigen testing at resorts and free 14 day quarantine at the hotels.
The presentation also highlighted a number of resort openings from the past 6 months and new properties set to open 2021/22.
Here is a rundown:
- Secrets Bahia Mita Surf & Spa Resort Opened August 1, 2021. Features 278 rooms, 12 restaurants, 5 bars.
- Dreams Aventuras Riviera Maya, Reopened September 1, 2021 after extensive renovations. The property has 305 rooms, 8 restaurants, 4 bars.
- Breathless Cancun Soul Resort & Spa scheduled to open on December 7 2021. Features 429 rooms, 10 restaurants, 11 bars
- Zoetry Casa Del Mar, Los Cabos, opening December 15 2021. Features 60 rooms, 2 restaurants, 2 bars
- Zoetry Curacao Resort & Spa, opening December 17, 2021. Features 72 rooms, 2 restaurants, 3 bars
- Secrets Moxche, Playa del Carmen opening February 11, 2022. Features 485 All Suites, 11 restaurants, 8 bars
- Secrets Impression Moxche, Playa del Carmen opening February 25, 2022. Features 198 Elevated Suites, 14 restaurants, 9 bars
- Zoetry Marigot Bay, Saint Lucia opening June 1, 2022 with 124 rooms, 4 restaurants, 4 bars
Overall, the message was hopeful and resonated with the assembled travel advisors who feel positive about the brand’s continued evolution.