MSC World Europa has arrived in Europe for her inaugural summer season in the Mediterranean. Delivered in October 2022 by French shipbuilder Chantiers de l’Atlantique, MSC World Europa is MSC Cruises’ largest vessel and the first to be powered by liquefied natural gas (LNG). MSC World Europa is, according to the cruise line, the best performing large cruise ship operating in the world in terms of CO2 emissions per passenger.
Ian Patterson, Country Manager, MSC Cruises Canada, said, “It is with great pride that we welcome MSC World Europa in Europe as she starts her first summer season in the Mediterranean. Since her launch last November in Doha, Qatar, she has become a firm favourite with our Canadian guests. MSC World Europa is a testimony of our unwavering commitment to sustainable cruising, with a range of unprecedented innovations in terms of environmental and marine technologies. MSC World Europa represents a major step forward on our journey towards meeting our target of net-zero emissions by 2050.”
The ship will be powered by LNG throughout the summer season, with her first bunkering in Marseille scheduled on 15APR, 2023. LNG is considered by many to be the cleanest marine fuel currently available at scale.
Other Environmental Features
MSC World Europa is equipped with
- shore power plug-in connectivity to reduce carbon emissions in port;
- wastewater treatment facilities onboard to close to tap water standards;
- ballast water treatment system that prevents the introduction of invasive species in the marine environment;
- an entire team of crew dedicated to implementing shipboard waste management protocols;
- underwater radiated noise management system to minimize disturbance to marine life;
- onboard energy efficient equipment to optimize engine use and hotel energy needs to reduce emissions further; and
- data collection systems for remote energy monitoring and advanced analysis, allowing real-time shoreside support to optimize operational efficiency onboard.
During this first summer season in the Mediterranean, guests on board MSC World Europa will be able to experience the ship’s innovative features and impressive spaces, including
- the 104-foot, 11-deck high World Promenade, connected to the World Galleria, which spans 23,831 square feet and is crowned by an awe-inspiring LED and kinetic dome ceiling;
- immersive culinary experiences with a choice of 20 bars and lounges, and 13 dining venues including a Michelin-starred chef farm-to-table collaboration and MSC's first microbrewery at sea;
- entertainment options including three new concert-style shows, five new full-scale theatre productions, four themed experiences in the Panorama Lounge, and pop-up live shows throughout the ship; and
- the largest, most action-packed kids area in MSC Cruises’ fleet, with seven rooms dedicated to various age groups from 0 to 17 years old;
- seven swimming pools and 13 whirlpools located in distinct parts of the ship;
- MSC Yacht Club ship-within-a-ship, with a reimagined sundeck set over two decks for the first time; and
- all-new cabin designs and the most balcony cabins on any ship in the fleet.
MSC World Europa will welcome guests for the summer season in the Mediterranean Sea on seven-night itineraries calling at the Italian ports of Genoa, Naples and Messina, as well as Valletta in Malta, Barcelona in Spain and Marseille in France.
For more information about MSC World Europa, click here.