With a symbolic steel cutting ceremony at Italy’s famous Fincantieri shipyard , MSC Group’s long-awaited launch into the luxury space transitioned from concept to build.
Explora I, the first of the line’s four new luxury ships, will set sail in 2023 under the brand Explora Journeys. Explora I’s sister ships will be added each year through 2026.
Bookings for the 2023 Inaugural Collection open this fall.
“Building a luxury brand that will redefine the cruise experience and create a category of its own has been a long-held vision of mine and my family,” said Pierfrancesco Vago, Executive Chairman of MSC Group’s cruise business and broader passenger division. “Inspired by our personal travel wishes, Explora Journeys will be an ocean escape like no other, allowing guests to relax, make memories, and cherish the time at sea with their loved ones. After all, time is the ultimate luxury.”
Highlights of MSC’s new luxury ships include:
- Designs developed in partnership with the global superyacht and luxury hospitality designers, characterized by “elegant Swiss precision with modern European craftsmanship.” The ship was designed with water as a focal point to put guests in an ocean state of mind.
- 461 oceanfront suites and residences, with floor to ceiling windows and personal private terrace. Suites start at a spacious 35 square meters (≈377 sq. ft.);
- 14 decks that incorporate ample indoor public space, for guests to choose experiences and seclusion;
- 2,500 square meters (≈26,910 sq. ft.) of outdoor deck space overlooking the sea;
- 3 outdoor pools with 64 private cabanas; with various indoor and outdoor whirlpool baths on the ship’s promenade deck;
- A 4th pool, with a retractable glass roof, will allow swimming and poolside relaxation in any weather;
- 9 distinct - and included - restaurants with flexible dining times, featuring celebrated global cuisine and sustainably sourced local ingredients;
- Several indoor and outdoor bars and lounges, also included;
- 1.25 to 1 crew to guest ratio, for maximum personalized service;
- Spacious indoor/ outdoor spa and fitness area, as well as
- Bespoke wellness experiences in each destination to make relaxation and rejuvenation easily accessible onboard and ashore.
“Explora Journeys was designed for guests who want to stay longer, leave later, and travel deeper,” said Michael Ungerer, CEO of Explora Journeys.
Meaningful sustainability is at the core of MSC’s new fleet of luxury vessels, incorporating the latest in environmental-supporting technologies, that include avoiding emissions while at berth and RINA DOLPHIN certification for reduced underwater noise. Single-use plastics will not be used onboard the ship, nor will they be offered during land-based experiences.
“The MSC Family knows the sea like few others, and with that knowledge comes passion, love and most of all, a deep respect,” continued Vago. “Our ships will utilize state of the art technology to ensure we are leading the movement towards a more sustainable future. Together with our partners, we’re currently developing ground-breaking technologies that will elevate the status quo, not just for this generation but also beyond.”
To learn more about Explora Journeys, and watch the brand reveal video, advisors are encouraged to visit ExploraJourneys.com.