Last week’s announcement by the EU that it would relax travel restrictions on arrivals from any country as long as they were fully vaccinated with an EU-recognized vaccine wasn’t just welcome news for airlines pushing to re-establish trans-atlantic aviation routes.
It also triggered the restart of river cruising, with at least two European river cruise lines announcing their plans to start the 2021 river cruising season:
AmaWaterways Returns to European River Cruising on 03JUL 2021
AmaWaterways announced its plans to return to the rivers of Europe, sailing select ships starting on 03JUL 2021 in Portugal and rolling out more ships on other rivers throughout Europe soon after.
“We are so excited to see the situation in Europe evolving in a positive direction and are very optimistic about the new tourist entry requirements,” said AmaWaterways’ Executive Vice President and Co-Founder Kristin Karst.
The cruise line will also be monitoring the ongoing health situation in local destinations, and taking into account updates from global health authorities, local governments, and airlines for entry requirements, as stated by AmaWaterways President and Co-Founder Rudi Schreiner.
As the start date for cruising approaches, AmaWaterways will be providing more information on specific documentation needed to travel, and updates will be posted on their website and sent to travel partners by email.
The cruise line’s 2021 European river sailings dates are as follows:
- 03JUL – AmaDouro will commence sailings through Portugal
- 21JUL – AmaMagna will commence sailings on the Danube River
- 22JUL – AmaKristina will commence sailings in France on the Rhône River
- 22JUL – AmaLyra will commence sailings in France on the Seine River
- 27JUL – AmaVida will commence sailings in Portugal and Spain
- 29JUL – AmaDolce will commence sailings through Bordeaux, France
- 29JUL – AmaSiena will commence sailings on the Rhine River
Uniworld Announces Return to 2021 River Cruising on 20JUN
Uniworld will resume river cruising by debuting its renovated super ship, S.S. Venezia, in Italy on 20JUN.
Uniworld’s Milan, Venice & the Gems of Northern Italy itinerary, commencing 18JUN 2021 in Milan, will be the line’s first cruise since the pandemic began. Guests will spend two days in Milan before traveling to Venice where they’ll board the renovated S.S. La Venezia and sail eight days round-trip from Venice along Northern Italy’s coastline.
After the launch, cruises will also restart in France.
- Brilliant Bordeaux
- Onboard S.S. Bon Voyage, beginning 27JUN, guests will travel throughout Southwest France for eight days along three rivers, the Garonne, Dordogne and Gironde;
- Paris & Normandy
- Onboard S.S. Joie de Vivre beginning 04JUL, an eight-day sailing that goes roundtrip from Paris through Normandy’s countryside;
- Burgundy & Provence
- Onboard S.S. Catherine beginning 11JUL, an eight-day cruise through the Rhône and Saône rivers, including stops at Avignon and Lyon.
“We’ve been waiting for this moment and are beyond thrilled to be back on the rivers, welcoming back our loyal guests on four of our most beautiful Super Ships this summer,” says Ellen Bettridge, President & CEO of Uniworld.