Our beloved industry has been subject to considerable fear mongering of late. There is considerable concern that our regulatory apparatchiks in the great province of Ontario believe the travel biz is in disarray. My dear Pumpkinsâ€¦ nothing could be further from the truth. Fear notâ€¦ the travel industry is unfolding as it should, or as one of my army intimates might put it (as he catches his sated breath), â€˜Situation Normal, All F***ed Up.â€™
Judging by the vitriolic responses to a recent Open Jaw article,Â thereâ€™s a lot of passion out there about the makeup and management of the Ontario regulator. But, darlingsâ€¦ these outpourings of passionâ€¦ they too shall passâ€¦. they always do.
Take comfort in the fact that other recent developments indicate weâ€™re where we always have been and where we always are headingâ€¦
Cases in point:
- There wasnâ€™t much passion at this yearâ€™s ACTA AGM, where a good time was had by few. Disarray? I think not.
- Agents are making a comeback, but online booking is more popular than ever.
- Eustache says book now or forever stay in a three-star. Fontenla-Novoa sees â€˜a lot of painâ€™ this winter.
- Some pundits say the â€˜year of the dealâ€™ is over, others say 2010 will bring yet more wrapped gifts.
- The NHL season is beginning with the Jetz sports charters having been settled between the leaders of the free world. And, the Leafs beat the Stanley Cup champs in the pre-seasonâ€¦ not to worryâ€¦ it wonâ€™t last.
You donâ€™t detect any disarray here, do you Pumpkins?
One thing isnâ€™t up for dispute: the travel industry is the only place to seek your fame and fortune. Of course you know this already, or you wouldnâ€™t be privy to my priceless pontifical pearls.